Monday 25 March 2013

OnTracktoRio- James Alaka

After the sheer interest in Victoria Ohurugou who is bound to be a star on the Track...
Tracktics had to find an interview with a Champion Athlete and we did...

Futures bright: Alaka see's Rio 2016 as his destiny.

James Alaka was ranked six last year in GB for 100 metres at just the age of 22.
He was also ranked second last year in the Country for 200 metres with a time of 20.45 seconds.
Want to find out more about one of team GB's biggest sprinting prospects?


Tracktics: James thank you for taking part in our feature OnTracktoRio tell our readers about yourself?
I am 23 years old and i compete in the 100 and 200. I started running when i was 13 but took it seriously when i was 14. I train at the University of Washington but when i am in Britain, usually over the summer, i train with Coach Clarence Callender.

Tracktics: What have you achieved on the Track in the 8/9 years you have been involved with Athletics? What do you regard as your greatest achievement from that?
I have been lucky enough to have competed for GB five times. Twice at Junior level (07, 08) and three times at U23 level. My greatest international achievement is without a doubt winning gold and silver over 100m and 200m at the 2011 European U23 championships. Outside of the international scene, my most proud moment would be winning the 2012 Pac 12 200m championship in a personal best 20.45.

             Alaka winning Gold in the 100m at the European U23 Championships.

Tracktics: What would you say makes you different from athletes that has got you to the standard you are today?
What sets me apart would be my support system. I have great family and friends who support me one hundred percent and that makes this sport so much easier. It allows me to be stress free, for the most part, and it just increases the enjoyment factor.

Tracktics: At the age of 23 do you see Rio as the main aim in your career
and if so what would be a realistic achievement?

Becoming an Olympian is definitely my main aim in Track and Field. I'd love to go to the Rio games full of confidence, and with some fast times under my belt. It's hard to say exactly what i want to happen there as its so far away. Along the way i'd like to compete in a lot of other international competitions also.

Tracktics:  What do you do outside of the Track?
I spend a lot of time studying since i am a college student. But when i do get a moment to myself i like to hang out with friends. I also am addicted to playing Football Manager and i record music as well.

Tracktics: Who has been your idol on the Track and how have they inspired you?
Julian Golding and Michael Johnson have been people i liked watching race as a kid. They are undoubtedly my two favourite athletes. There is also a distance runner on my college team who inspires me a lot, she is extremely gutsy when she runs and its great to see.

Tracktics: How would you improve the sport to appeal to more people?
I think Usain Bolt is taking care of that!


Finally if there was a message you could give to upcoming athletes what would it be?
Work hard and be grateful when you are able to compete! Appreciate every injury free moment you have and try to have as much fun as possible when competing.

To keep up to date with one of GB Track's stars of tomorrow give him a follow:


Or to keep up to date with James progression and way to the podium!


No comments:

Post a Comment